Search This Blog

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Review: Neutrogena Complete Acne Therapy System

My Journey Toward Acne-Free Skin
Picture From Neutrogena Website
 Retail Price: $24.99
Step 1: Skin Polishing Acne Cleanser 5.1 fl oz/150 mL
Step 2: Acne Control Lotion 1.4 fl oz/40 mL
Step 3: Oil-Free Lotion with Sunscreen SPF 15 1.7 fl oz/50 mL

According to Neutrogena's website, this is the #1 Dermatologist Recommended acne kit and is designed to control acne in three steps.  I've passed by this product multiple times, choosing competitor acne-clearing products instead.  But once I picked this gem up, there is no turning back.  This once overlooked acne treatment system has earned a special place in my heart and now on my acne-free skin.

This is a rave review on the Neutrogena Complete Acne Therapy System.



Not only can you pick this product up for less than $30, but when on sale at drugstore or purchased at your local Walmart or Target, I picked this set up for under $20.  This is a complete steal considering that the products in this kit were able to get rid of all of my acne.  I am enthralled and completely impressed!  Be warned! I have a lot to say about this wonderful system.

I wouldn't say my acne was severe or bad, but I always had numerous small flesh colored bumps scattered across my forehead. And during that time of the month, a red pimple or two would emerge and have an unattractive party on my face.

I was tired of the times I would brush my hand against my forehead and feel the rough, raised, oily, confidence-sucking zits on my face.  I've tried and tested multiple acne products, and I can honestly say that this treatment system has been the absolute greatest for my skin.

The only thing that had worked for me in the past was acne medication prescribed by my doctor.  That stuff was brilliant and was able to get rid of my acne with little effort, slightly dry skin but nothing to be afraid of.  Once I stopped the treatment (because my acne had cleared up), the prescription did not work the same when I tried using it again (when the acne came back).  I grew tired of the product and it has since expired, and I didn't bother trying to renew a prescription.

I tried my hand at Proactiv.  The first week was complete amazing (at the time I tried Proactiv, my skin was at its worst, where my acne was red and inflamed), the redness was disappearing and my acne was growing smaller.  But quickly, things took a turn for the worst.  My skin dried up so quickly and everything was peeling. I was horrified and stopped immediately.

I looked toward drugstore products with no avail over the years.  I've tried so many that the list is hard to keep track of.  Just to name a few, I've tried:
1) Acne Free Acne Clearing System
2) Equate Acne Treatment System (Knockoff to Proactiv)
3) Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Stress Control Power Cream Wash and Toner
4) Clearasil Daily Clear Oil-Free Daily Face Wash
5) Clean and Clear Advantage Acne Spot Treatment
6) St. Ives Blemish and Blackhead Control Apricot Scrub/Cleanser
7) St. Ives Blemish and Blackhead Control Green Tea Scrub/Cleanser
8) L'oreal Go 360 Clean Anti-Breakout Facial Cleanser/Deep Exfoliating Scrub
9) Multiple Brands Using 10% Benzoyl Peroxide
10) And Many More!

Oil-Free Lotion Sunscreen (Left), Skin Polishing Acne Cleanser (Middle), Acne  Control Lotion (Right)
All of these products did nothing for my skin. I did find some products that I loved using to clean my face in general (St. Ives Green Tea Scrub and L'oreal Go 360 Deep Exfoliating Scrub), but I did not find anything to clear up my skin until I picked up the Neutrogena Complete Acne Therapy System

I don't know what it is about the product.  It's either Step 1: Skin Polishing Acne Cleanser with its 0.5% Salicylic Acid Treatment or Step 2: Acne Control Lotion with 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide or a combination of the two, because with consistent use, within a month, all the raised bumps on my forehead disappeared.  I hardly even noticed the period when the treatment started working until my acne was gone.

I used the Skin Polishing Acne Cleanser (Step 1) once a night, squeezing a large pea size amount onto my Clairisonic and washing my face with it.  The cleanser is completely smooth, and there is nothing exfoliating about it for those who don't like bead like things on your face.  The scent is clean and the product did not cause my skin to dry up at all.  I followed up with the Acne Control Lotion (Step 2), a spot treatment-like product for me, and what I think is the gem of the product, every night.  The "lotion" is thick in consistency, and I only needed a tiny pea size amount for this one, spreading it across my forehead and cheeks.  Unlike some drugstore spot treatments that leave a shiny or white residue, this lotion dries matte, and I thought it did a good job with oil-control. I wouldn't wake up the next morning with a shiny forehead. The lotion would probably be good to wear even in the daytime (I don't wear acne medication throughout the day just because I had issues with the shiny cast or white residue).  Be sure not to add too much product if wearing during the daytime.  There were times where I added too much product at night, and there was some white residue most prominent near the hairs of my eyebrows.

 The following mornings, I would wash my face with a random facial cleanser (without any acne medication).  Within the month, my skin was soft, silky, and simply beautiful! I am so utterly in love with this product that I am even convinced that the product is even reducing the hyperpigmentation in my cheeks and leftover acne scars (I can't be certain..but if this product does even this as well, I would not be surprised at all).

The side effects were so small, maybe a day or two of minor dry skin, I hardly even took full note, probably the reason why I didn't even realize the product had worked until--well, everything is gone.

The Oil-Free Lotion with Sunscreen SPF 15, step 3, is an additional bonus, and I do enjoy Neutrogena sunscreens.  I think the 1.7 fl oz is nice to have for travel, and the SPF 15 is cool (I wish there were more sun protection).  I think I prefer the Neutrogrena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunscreen instead.  I could get a much higher SPF, the finish was more matte (it really is dry to the touch), and the sunscreen was completely okay for use on my face. I don't think I'm in love with this step 3 sunscreen as much as the step one and two products, but I wouldn't mind using the product for everyday use in times where my sun exposure is a minimal.

I can't rave enough.  You guys should give this guy a shot.  Maybe you'll love it as much as I did. I will be repurchasing as if my skin depended on it (because it does!)

No comments:

Post a Comment