Search This Blog

Thursday, July 25, 2013

DIY Lip Palette



Do you have a bunch of lipsticks that you don't like the way the color looks on you?  Or do you own way too many lipsticks that are taking up too much space in your makeup collection?  Well, here's a fun way to store some of your lipsticks in a convenient location and even combine shades that you don't like to get the perfect lip look for you!


I had this old eyeshadow palette that my sister gave me as a gift when I must have been a middle school makeup noobie and thought it would be the coolest thing to be all grown-up and wear makeup.  The eyeshadow itself was chalky and the colors were all bright and pastel, shades I never really wore.  So this sat in my room pretty much untouched for ages until I decided I would remove the eyeshadow, clean up the little metal dishes, and make my own lip palette.

I just used a butter knife to crumble the eyeshadow out (I didn't need to keep really old eyeshadow, so I just threw it out), and I cleaned the palette with some standard dishwasher soap and water to make it look awesome.




You then take the lipstick of your choice, slice a part off of it (how much you use really depends on how deep the metal pan is), and melt it on a metal spoon.  Some people like to use candles, but it's just as effective when using a hair straightener (this is the Chi Air if you're wondering but the brand doesn't make a difference).

When the lipstick has melted, you can dump it into the respective pan of your choice and move onto the next one!  There isn't any rising of the lipstick because the pans are metal, so you don't really have to worry about overflowing the color into its neighboring pan unless you pour too much.

For colors I never really used or for ones where the packaging of the lipstick isn't the greatest (WnW and Jordana...I'm talking to you), it's really convenient to put colors all in one location so they get more use in your makeup collection.

I also don't like some colors (too frosty, too bold, or the color doesn't look right on me), so it's fun to mix shades.  Mixing a bold creme color with a super frosty one, and you can end up with a better suited color for you.  I happen to love coral shades, so I loved mixing bright reds with pinks to get the colors I wanted.
DIY Lip Palette (Flash)
You can keep a master list of the shades in each pan or the way you mixed the colors if you want (it'll make you feel more "professional makeup junkie" I'm sure).  For those that are curious about some of the colors I ended up getting, here they are by column:

Column 1:
- WnW Natural Blend Lip Shimmer 104 (Berry)
- WnW Natural Blend Lip Shimmer 105 (Maple)
- WnW 104 (Berry) & 105 (Maple) Mixed [review here on the WnW Natural Blend Lip Shimmers]

Column 2:
- Jordana Matte Lipstick Pink Passion
- Jordana Matte Lipstick Pink Passion & Jordana Lipstick Barely Pink
- Jordana Lipstick Beige Frost

Column 3:
- WnW Megashield Lipstick Within These Adobe Walls
- WnW Megashield Lipstick Within These Adobe Walls & WnW Megashield Lipstick Salsa Lessons
- WnW Megashield Lipstick Ring Around the Rosy

Column 4:
- WnW Megashield Lipstick Within These Adobe Walls & Revlon Lip Butter Tutti Frutti
- WnW Megashield Lipstick Within These Adobe Walls, WnW Megashield Lipstick Salsa Lessons, Hard Candy All Glossed Up Hydrating Lipstain in Chic
- WnW Megashield Lipstick Salsa Lessons

Column 5:
- Jordana Lipstick Nude
- Jordana Lipstick Nude & WnW Megashield Lipstick Salsa Lessons
- WnW Megashield Lipstick Salsa Lessons & Jordana Lipstick Barely Pink

On a side note, WnW Megashield in Within These Adobe Walls is a great pink cream, WnW Megashield in Salsa Lessons is a bright red-orange creme, and Jordana Lipstick in Nude is an awesome cream pink.  I like these colors on their own but especially loved mixing them to get coral shades. I found Jordana lipsticks when melted and put in a palette became ultra creamy and pigmentation seemed to be rocking even better than the rest of the shades.

As for the lip brush (I didn't get a picture of it), I used the eyeliner brush from my Physcian's Formula Gel Liner Trio.  The brush makes for a perfect lip brush and fits pretty snugly into the slot that used to hold a Claire's eyeliner. 

Lipstick Palette with an Awesome Mirror!
Go get cracking on this fun little do-it-yourself project!  I had a bunch of fun and can't help but smile at this new but old palette that's bringing some joy back into my life.  :)

1 comment: